Auto Insurance Claims/salvage title

I did not want to total my truck it is repairable. I am not getting the value of it. I'm not sure how much this matters but I did have the front end redone and motor rebuilt. My truck has always been in good condition body wise.I have always planned on keeping it plus i didn't want any payments. What do I do? I feel like him getting screwed and cant do anything about it.

You have a few options.  In order for me to give you the best answer, I need to know if this is a claim against your own insurance company or if it is a claim against someone else's.

I will answer the question assuming that somebody else's insurance is handling this Virginia claim.  With that being said, you may have to file a small claims suit against the person that caused the damages and hire an expert appraiser to help you document the true value of your vehicle in a manner accepted by the laws in the State of Virginia.

If this is a claim against your own company, you can invoke the appraisal clause in your policy and force your company to hire an independent appraiser as well, and then the appraiser and/or an umpire will decide the value and award it to you.

Now, in any case, you cannot change whether the insurance company decides to total the vehicle or not, so you are at their mercy as to whether they pay you for the actual cash value, or if they pay you to have it repaired.  It's your truck either way and you can keep it an repair it if you like, it's just whether the vehicle will have a salvage title or not when and if you sell it.  

If you want details, you'll have to give more details, and details are what I am good at!  Information is always free at Petty Details, LLC, look us up if you get stuck.  

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty

Challenge me! I promise that I will provide you with the most honest answer I can muster, and I will base it on nearly 20 years of complex claims experience. My strength is shooting it straight and seeing through BS. I do not bluff and I can tell when somebody is. I've handled claims in almost every State in the U.S. and adjusted claims and consulted attorneys and CEO's on recovery and special claims tactics for over a decade. I am the founder and President of Petty Details, LLC. We provide the highest quality claim services to insurance companies, attorneys and individuals all exactly in the same way, by paying attention to the details and doing the right thing.

Nearly 20 years of combined claim company management, litigation, all lines adjusting, claim auditing, damage assessment, subrogation, small claims, tort recovery, collection, skip-tracing, tactical investigations, and contribution claim recovery experience across the United States of America.

NASP (National Association of Subrogation Professionals) (Auto Insurance Expert) Diminished Value Appraisers Group (LinkedIn)

10 years experience in writing and developing technical claims correspondence for litigation and unique scenarios at insurance companies and as a consultant to attorneys assisting with legal briefs and research. 42 published articles relating to auto insurance and claims. Self Published e-books entitled "How Much is My Injury Worth" and "Diminished Value - How Do I Get Paid?".

School of hard knocks, 3 years college, NO DEGREE, years of real world experience running a claims service company and adjusting claims for carriers. Speaks English and Spanish, Limited Portuguese & Italian.

Platinum Author ( All Lines Adjuster (TX, 1998 - 2008) TX Public Adjuster (2009 - 2011)

State Farm Insurance, Endeavor GA, MileMeter Ins., American Recreational Markets, Gainsco Ins. Co., Safeway Ins., Home State County Mutual Insurance, Old American County Mutual Insurance, FCCI, Farm Bureau, Liberty Mutual, and Pronto General Agency, LTD just to name a few! On top of insurance companies and attorneys, I have personally helped thousands of accident victims with the difficult and stressful process of navigating their claim to a successful resolution.