Auto Insurance Claims/Accident without insurance

Question
My husband was recently in a small fender bender with another motorist. Neither had insurance at the time (we were recently married and i thought he had taken care of the insurance and he had thought i had). my husband was in the far right lane on a three lane one way road, the other man was in the middle lane and instead of slowing down he quickly turned into my husbands lane and hit the front of our car. The man admitted fault and gave all his information name, address, licence plate and number. But now that we have had multiple estimates for the damage he does not want to pay for the damage. I would like to ensure that other drivers do not have this same problem with him and would like him to pay for the damage but am not sure how to approach the situation.
I would like to report him to the DMV but am not sure what repercussions it would have for my husband and I. We are insured now, i made sure to have it once i found out that we did not. But My husband is a full time student and we cant really afford the $2,300 price tag on this. Is there a way that we can get this solved favorably without us being punished too much?

Answer
Your only option is to sue him in small claims court.  The rules are relaxed and attorneys are not necessary.  However, you have to consider whether he will be able to pay you, even if you win.  Lane change cases are also difficult to prove as both parties often accuse the other of the same thing.

Auto Insurance Claims

Claims Guy