Auto Insurance Claims/Claim

Question
QUESTION: I accidentally hit my car to a tree and damaged my car. The damage is quite big. Is this type of accident quality for a claim thru Insurance?
I do have complehensive deductible $500.
Thanks in advance for all your help!

Mindy

ANSWER: Yes!  You can file a claim for that, and it could be classified under the comprehensive section of your policy!

If you have further questions, please let me know!  I hope this helps!

QUESTION: Thanks and one more question..

I am thinking of getting a new auto insurance. Will this comprehensive claim affect my future insurance rate ?
I have no claim or accident within 10 years.

Answer
I can't be for sure without calling your new carrier's underwriting department and finding out.  Each insurance company has their own rule regarding how accidents count.  The new company will find out about the claim sooner or later if you file it, so no need worrying about trying to hide it.

Now, even so, I have been in the industry a long time, and one claim in 10 years should not affect your rating class, but if the damage is extensive (like 10K or more) , it is possible that the claim could cause a nominal increase in your premium.  

I think that it is important to take into consideration that insurance is meant to take care of a large loss you can't afford on your own, so if that is the case, use the insurance, it won't make that big of a difference in your rate if it even affects it at all.  

I hope this helps.

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty