Auto Insurance Claims/Insurance Claim

I was in a wreck that I am sure is going to be determined was my fault. I have been driving my car for 10 years now and it was bought for me in college by my mother and at that time put in her name. I have never taken it out of her name, just an oversight I guess. I was on an insurance policy for years that also had her name on it, but after getting married and buying a house, my wife and I got our own policy for our 2 cars and house. I had no problems getting the policy and was never asked who owned the car. But after getting a phone call today they made it sound as if there is a fair chance they will be denying my claim. Is there anything I can do here? Will they also deny the guys claim that I hit? I really don't want to be sued by the other guy as I just don't have much to give if that were to happen. Do I have any argument at all if my claim is denied?

It doesn't seem like there is any issue with your claim.  What is the problem?  It is not required that you own a vehicle to insure it, so just because your name is not on the title, that does not mean that the coverage is no good or that coverage will be denied.

Again, coverage should still be good, no matter if you are the owner of the vehicle or not.  If the insurance company denies your claim, it will not be because you were not the owner of the vehicle.  If the insurance company tells you they are denying the claim, request that they send you a written denial.  Until you have a written denial, your claim is open and the coverage should apply as normal.  

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty

Challenge me! I promise that I will provide you with the most honest answer I can muster, and I will base it on nearly 20 years of complex claims experience. My strength is shooting it straight and seeing through BS. I do not bluff and I can tell when somebody is. I've handled claims in almost every State in the U.S. and adjusted claims and consulted attorneys and CEO's on recovery and special claims tactics for over a decade. I am the founder and President of Petty Details, LLC. We provide the highest quality claim services to insurance companies, attorneys and individuals all exactly in the same way, by paying attention to the details and doing the right thing.

Nearly 20 years of combined claim company management, litigation, all lines adjusting, claim auditing, damage assessment, subrogation, small claims, tort recovery, collection, skip-tracing, tactical investigations, and contribution claim recovery experience across the United States of America.

NASP (National Association of Subrogation Professionals) (Auto Insurance Expert) Diminished Value Appraisers Group (LinkedIn)

10 years experience in writing and developing technical claims correspondence for litigation and unique scenarios at insurance companies and as a consultant to attorneys assisting with legal briefs and research. 42 published articles relating to auto insurance and claims. Self Published e-books entitled "How Much is My Injury Worth" and "Diminished Value - How Do I Get Paid?".

School of hard knocks, 3 years college, NO DEGREE, years of real world experience running a claims service company and adjusting claims for carriers. Speaks English and Spanish, Limited Portuguese & Italian.

Platinum Author ( All Lines Adjuster (TX, 1998 - 2008) TX Public Adjuster (2009 - 2011)

State Farm Insurance, Endeavor GA, MileMeter Ins., American Recreational Markets, Gainsco Ins. Co., Safeway Ins., Home State County Mutual Insurance, Old American County Mutual Insurance, FCCI, Farm Bureau, Liberty Mutual, and Pronto General Agency, LTD just to name a few! On top of insurance companies and attorneys, I have personally helped thousands of accident victims with the difficult and stressful process of navigating their claim to a successful resolution.