You are here:

Auto Insurance Claims/Insurance coverage question


 I was driving down a street and the water was deeper than I thought. All of a sudden it stopped going. My car turned off on me. Someone pushed me out of the water. I was wondering if my insurance would cover this. My car doesn't work any more. I have collision and I have comprehensive as well. I live in California. Also there was no signs stating that the street is subject to flooding.

Hi Teresa,

Yes. Flooding is covered under the Comprehensive portion of your policy. You should call your company to report the claim. They will send out an appraiser to assess the damage. In the mean time you should have the vehicle moved to a mechanical shop preferably a dealer of the make of your car. Have them assess the damage and the cost of repairs. You can tell your insurance company what dealer you have moved the car to so they can have their appraiser go to that dealer to assess the damage and negotiate the repair cost with the shop.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh  

Auto Insurance Claims

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard Hixenbaugh


Auto insurance claims procedure, auto coverage, liability issues, auto damage questions, how to deal with the insurance company, loss of use and diminished value.


I have been involved in the insurance industry for over 25 years. I have experience in underwriting, sales, claims adjusting, auto damage estimating, auto value appraising and diminished value appraising. I have testified as an expert witness over 35 times.

Society of Certified Auto Appraisers

Completed all required courses for the Florida Property-Casualty agents license and the Florida claims adjusters license. I have attended various courses on auto damage estmating, vehicle appraising and am ASE certified in collision damage analysis.

Past/Present Clients
My company has done work for consumers nationwide.

©2017 All rights reserved.