Auto Insurance Claims/Car accident settlement

My wife was in an accident last February. The at-fault party's insurance agreed to pay for everything. My wife recieved bills from all drs saying the bills were paid. They offered $22,000. Her lawyer said we would have to pay the medical bills back. Is this correct?

Thank you for the question.

Something doesn't sound correct. I am not an attorney nor am I familiar with your specific state's laws and I cannot and do not offer legal advice.

You may be in what's referred to as a "No-Fault" state whereby each party pays for their own medical bills under what is commonly referred to as Personal Injury Protection or PIP. Only when you breach the threshold (broken bone, permanent disability, scar, loss of limb etc.) can you file for a bodily injury claim for due compensation.

My best advise is to:

1. Ask your attorney to provide you, in writing, a full explanation as to why you would be required to reimburse the at-fault party's insurer for all medical bills they have paid of which were the result of their insured's liability?

2. If you don't receive ample response, seek legal counsel from another attorney or your state's Dept. of Insurance.

Thanks again, I hope you found this of some assistance!

Good luck and I hope your wife has a full and speedy recovery!

Auto Insurance Claims

Barrett Smith

Auto Claim and Collision Repair issues including quality and thoroughness of repair, Diminished Value, Total Loss settlement valuation, Appraisal Clause matters, Expert Testimony, pre-purchase inspections and others. While having been a Senior Claims Adjuster, I am not licensed to practice law and cannot provide legal counsel. I will provide replies as friendly and informal advice based upon my experiences and those of our clients as possible. For more information on our offerings please visit For more informatin on our offerings please visit

I grew up working in a family owned auto body repair business my father owned and operated in Alaska and after leaving the US Air Force I started my own repair facility in Florida. I later became a senior claims adjuster for a national auto insurer and later managed two GM dealership collision centers. I started another shop which was recognized as a "Top Shop" in central Florida for over 15 years winning numerous local accolades and awards such as Business of the Year. In 2001 I developed Auto Damage Experts to provide its services nation wide and to all segments illustrating balance and equity for all ADE clients. For more information please visit

ASA (Automotive Service Association), SCRS, CCRE and others... For more information please request CV or visit

Local and national publications including but not limited to Auto Body Repair News (ABRN), Body Shop Business (BSB) and others. For more information please request CV or visit

ASE Master Certified in collision repair/refinishing including damage diagnosis and estimating. Please request CV or visit

As a quality Collision Repair facility owner, we received Top shop, Small Business of the year and other awards and accolades. Please request CV for additional information in this regard.

ADE provides services to all segments including Legal professionals, Consumers, Auto Dealers, Insurers, Governmental and judicial entities. For more information please request CV or visit