Auto Insurance Claims/Lost car keys.... what happens if my car is stolen after that.

I have a question for which I am requesting your help.

A week back I lost my car keys near to my apartment. Car was not stolen. Now I am afraid that, those keys might be used to steal my car. what happens if some one steals my car with those keys. I have another set of keys which I am using now.

Will Insurance covers for my car if it is stolen?
Do I need to report my insurance agent to see what can be done now?
will insurance covers if I make new set of keys (dealer says it is around 1000 dollars)?

Can you please check this and help me out what can be done.

Thanks and appreciate your help on this.

Thank you for your question.

I apologies for the delay in responding but I was out of the office and unavailable for several days.

I would first check with the apartment’s sales office to see if the keys were turned in…if so…done deal!

If not, I would suggest you contact your insurance agent or insurer and report it to them for the record and ask them if you can make a claim for the loss and cost to re-key your vehicle and to re-configure its key-less entry system!  If they decline, demand that they put their denial in writing as to why and what policy provisions support their denial. You may have to be firm about this as oftentimes insurers tell you what they want you to hear and not always the facts.

Note: If you lost your keys with your key-less entry key-fob, merely changing the locks may prevent someone from stealing it, but it won’t stop someone from gaining entry into your vehicle.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Auto Insurance Claims

Barrett Smith

Auto Claim and Collision Repair issues including quality and thoroughness of repair, Diminished Value, Total Loss settlement valuation, Appraisal Clause matters, Expert Testimony, pre-purchase inspections and others. While having been a Senior Claims Adjuster, I am not licensed to practice law and cannot provide legal counsel. I will provide replies as friendly and informal advice based upon my experiences and those of our clients as possible. For more information on our offerings please visit For more informatin on our offerings please visit

I grew up working in a family owned auto body repair business my father owned and operated in Alaska and after leaving the US Air Force I started my own repair facility in Florida. I later became a senior claims adjuster for a national auto insurer and later managed two GM dealership collision centers. I started another shop which was recognized as a "Top Shop" in central Florida for over 15 years winning numerous local accolades and awards such as Business of the Year. In 2001 I developed Auto Damage Experts to provide its services nation wide and to all segments illustrating balance and equity for all ADE clients. For more information please visit

ASA (Automotive Service Association), SCRS, CCRE and others... For more information please request CV or visit

Local and national publications including but not limited to Auto Body Repair News (ABRN), Body Shop Business (BSB) and others. For more information please request CV or visit

ASE Master Certified in collision repair/refinishing including damage diagnosis and estimating. Please request CV or visit

As a quality Collision Repair facility owner, we received Top shop, Small Business of the year and other awards and accolades. Please request CV for additional information in this regard.

ADE provides services to all segments including Legal professionals, Consumers, Auto Dealers, Insurers, Governmental and judicial entities. For more information please request CV or visit