Auto Insurance Claims/Revoking autotheft statement

What happens when you revoke an autotheft claim? Can you get in trouble with the law or your insurance company? Would your rate go up or would they stop doing business with you?

Hello Michael,

I assume when you refer to revoking the claim you mean personally withdrawing the claim.

You are free to do that at any time, and technically that would mean that the insurance company would take no further action.  However, if during the life of the claim the claim investigation revealed the possibility of fraud, then it is entirely possible that the company might refer it to law enforcement anyway.  In most all states insurance companies are required to refer suspicious claims to authorities whether the claim has been paid or not.  However, bear in mind that there are all levels of competency when it comes to genuinely investigating a claim.  While one might deem a claim suspicious, a more experienced investigator, based on a better understanding of evidence, might not.

Can you get in trouble with the insurance company?  It depends on the company's findings in regard to a particular claim. Get in trouble - no.  Could you have your policy non-renewed?  Perhaps.

Law enforcement?  Only if the claim was referred and a police agency continued with an investigation.  If the agency found evidence of a crime, that would clearly be a problem.

Let me make one important distinction here.  If you have filed a valid claim and you are simply being hassled by an insurance company, do not allow yourself to be intimidated.  Stick by your claim, and cooperate with the investigation.  You have paid premiums for protection.  If your claim is valid, they have an obligation to honor the terms of your policy and to pay the claim.

Hope this straightens things out.

Jane Pytel

Auto Insurance Claims

Jane Pytel

I can answer questions related to auto accidents, auto damage, auto theft claims, or personal injury claims. I am specifically suited to answer questions concerning insurance investigations and the effects of those investigations such as claim delays, claim denials, examinations under oath, or the special investigations unit. I can answer most any question that relates to proper claims investigations, or claims handling procedures and processes. I have authored several ebooks which provide claim guidance for consumers. Those books are available on Amazon Kindle: Power To Profit - will provide you with the knowledge you need to overcome the patterned obstacles that insurance companies will use to delay, devalue, or deny your valid insurance claim. The No Nonsense Guide to Accident Settlement - Teaches you how to manage your claim, how to identify the precise tactics likely to be used against you, and how you must respond.

12 years of experience with 3 major insurance companies. I hold an all lines adjusters license in Florida. I am well versed in claims handling, claims investigations, and industry standards related to both. The bulk of my experience stems from my 10 years as a police officer / detective. Building on that investigative experience, I became an SIU (Special Investigations Unit) Investigator. Accordingly, my unique expertise lies in the investigation of claims. What is necessary and related, what is not necessary and related? What constitutes a fair claims investigation? What recourse is available for consumers who suspect they are experiencing unfair claims delays? During the course of my experience, I became a certified trainer, instructing adjusters and investigators proper techniques for claims investigation and claims handling.

B.A., Communications, University of Miami 350 credit hours of intense investigative training, Miami Dade Police 80 hours of investigative training, various Federal Agencies, Miami, Fl Intensive Accident Reconstruction and Pedestrian Injury Analysis, NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Agency, Oklahoma City, OK 2 weeks Auto Damage Appraisal, Winston Salem, NC Legal Principles Claim Specialist, AEI