Auto Insurance Claims/Stolen Vehicle Liability

Question
My car was stolen and involved in an accident with another vehicle. The local police, for whatever reason, is not bothering with the case and has not marked the car stolen. The insurance company of the car that was hit is pursuing me for retribution and not my insurance company while my insurance company is denying my claim since our car has not been marked stolen by the police and is trying to pin the accident on me.

I reside in California and have comprehensive coverage. Can my insurance company deny coverage? Shouldn't the other car's insurance company be pursing my insurance company rather than me can they pursue me if my insurance does not believe me? Do you know of any CA laws that would protects me from liability from the other insurance company?

Answer
I see the problem.  You have to file a police report.  Get a police report on the theft immediately, if you don't do that, you are at the mercy of the adjusters.  

Send the police report to the other car's insurance company and send a copy to your insurance company.  

Your insurance company does not have to pay for damages if your car was stolen, and neither do you, but you do have to prove your car was stolen.

I hope this helps.  Information is always free at Petty Details, LLC!

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty