Auto Insurance Claims/One car struck the other car on the same policy

Question
My son was backing a trailer out of the driveway and hit his wife's car.  Both vehicles are in my son's name, but the loan is in his wife's name.  We figure since both cars have full coverage insurance on them, it would be like one insurer hit another insurer; thereby, only one deductible.
  The insurance company says both deductibles have to be paid.  Is this right?

Answer
Hi Randall,

Unfortunately, the insurance company is correct. The deductible applies to each vehicle separately. Each set of damage will be paid from the collision coverage on each vehicle (the car & the trailer). This is not a liability claim which is were there would be no deductible. This is because you can not be held to be liable to yourself for damages you caused to yourself.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh

Auto Insurance Claims

Richard Hixenbaugh