Auto Insurance Claims/One car struck the other car on the same policy

My son was backing a trailer out of the driveway and hit his wife's car.  Both vehicles are in my son's name, but the loan is in his wife's name.  We figure since both cars have full coverage insurance on them, it would be like one insurer hit another insurer; thereby, only one deductible.
  The insurance company says both deductibles have to be paid.  Is this right?

Hi Randall,

Unfortunately, the insurance company is correct. The deductible applies to each vehicle separately. Each set of damage will be paid from the collision coverage on each vehicle (the car & the trailer). This is not a liability claim which is were there would be no deductible. This is because you can not be held to be liable to yourself for damages you caused to yourself.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh

Auto Insurance Claims

Richard Hixenbaugh

Auto insurance claims procedure, auto coverage, liability issues, auto damage questions, how to deal with the insurance company, loss of use and diminished value.

I have been involved in the insurance industry for over 25 years. I have experience in underwriting, sales, claims adjusting, auto damage estimating, auto value appraising and diminished value appraising. I have testified as an expert witness over 35 times.

Society of Certified Auto Appraisers

Completed all required courses for the Florida Property-Casualty agents license and the Florida claims adjusters license. I have attended various courses on auto damage estmating, vehicle appraising and am ASE certified in collision damage analysis.

My company has done work for consumers nationwide.