Auto Insurance Claims/Diminished value


I had an accident back in May and just got my vehicle back the beginning of August. I have been talking with the insurance company of the guy who hit me about my diminished value. They keep saying they got the amount from mabry vs. State Farm . I had a DV report done and  forwarded that to them, they offered me 2167.00 and my report showed 13,000.  My vehicle was a certified pre-owned when I bought it and the front loader hit me 2 weeks later. I am not trying to be greedy it cost them 18,000 to fix my vehicle plus 3 months of rental  fees and towing to the shop. My car can no longer be considered a certified pre owned. I want to be fair but they just keep saying we. An send it to arbitration or you can take the 2167.00 help me please I am so frustrated.

You need to get an appraisal from someone who is independent of State Farm. That 17C formula used in Mabry has been ruled ineffective in courts all over the US. Go to and look for local DV help. If they can't find you someone, send me an e mail ( and I will help you get your settlement.


Auto Insurance Claims

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Charlie Barone


For questions involving auto damage claims, collision repair, forensics, industry practices, we can help. We specialize in claims for loss of resale value (Diminished Value).


I have 30 years experience in the collision repair and body reconstruction field, both hands-on and from behind the desk. I hold a Master Certification from ASE in the Body and Paint category, as well as their certification in Estimating. I have authored over 120 feature and training articles for the largest trade journal devoted to the collision repair industry, and have given expert testimony in court dozens of times. Licensed physical damage appraiser in Pennsylvania and reciprocal states.

©2017 All rights reserved.