Auto Insurance Claims/Rear ended at stop light

Question
Hello Claims Guy,

I live in North Carolina.  We were stopped at a light when I was rear ended while driving my mom's car with her insurance. She was in the passenger in the car with me at the time.  Fortunately, no one was hurt.   This was not a major accident, but it jolted us around and potentially cause some damage to my mother's car.  

The other person had been distracted and had taken their foot off the brake allowing their car to hit ours.  I believe that this was clearly the other person's fault.

I called my mom's insurance company on Monday to provide the police report number and notify them about this incident.  It is now Friday neither one of us has heard back from her insurance company.  Yesterday,(Thursday) the person that held the other insurance policy on the other car (not the driver) called and left a message.  I was not able to speak with him and I really did not want to yet.  I assume that this would be with regards to settling up about the accident.

Neither myself or my mother have been through this insurance process before.  Could you provide a brief procedure about what the sequence of events should be for this type of incident?  Any other recommendations or suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Allen

Answer
You should call your Mom's insurer and ask for immediate service.  This is lousy service - they should have called you back within a few hours, not days.  If you do not get assistance within a couple hours of calling tomorrow, call back and ask for the manager.  The claim rep can explain everything.  

Auto Insurance Claims

Claims Guy