Auto Insurance Claims/auto insurance claim

Question
I was involved in an auto accident while going to work two weeks ago.I was stopped in traffic and struck from behind.The driver who hit me was ticketed at the scene.The damage was extensive to the back half of my vehicle but it was driveable.I have filed a claim with the other insurance company and they sent an assignment to a well known body shop.I have taken the vehicle in for the estimate and I take it back for repair this coming week.They have arranged a rental car for me.My problem is I am worried that only the body work will be done and the mechanical damage will be treated as if it was already in that condition.I recently purchased this 2011 vehicle and it was Certified by the dealer.It was in perfect mechanical condition.At the time of the accident I had put less than 3,000 miles on it.When my vehicle was struck from behind it developed problems.There are noises from the rear and noises and hums from under the hood.A warning light is on indicating damage to the emission system.I expect this vehicle to be returned to the condition it was in before the accident and any advice you can give me is appreciated.Should I let them do the body work or should I insist that the mechanical issues be evaluated first? The body shop told me that they would check it out and any mechanical repairs needed would be reported and it would then be taken to the dealer for repair.Is that how these things are normally done?

Answer
Sandi,

Thank you for your question, I apologies for the delay in responding.

The first concern I have is that you are considering taking your vehicle to a shop of which the insurer has recommended to you.

A wise man once stated: "Never Take Advice On How To Collect Money From Those That Owe it To You!"

Should such issues arise whereas the damages are questioned whether loss related or not, the repairer may see the insurer (who sends them work) as their true customer rather than you, the vehicle owner and recipient of their work.

It would behoove you to have your repairs performed by a repairer who sees YOU as their customer...(not the insurer) and who can stand as your advocate to ensure all loss related damages (body, mechanical, electrical) are determined and properly and thoroughly corrected.

If you have already allowed the insurer's repairer to undertake the repair, should an issue arise, you will want to have all communications between you, the shop and the insurer in writing as to record the issues and handling. This may encourage all parties to act in good faith and resolve your every concern properly.

Generally speaking, yes, a repairer will take the vehicle to a dealer to have diagnostics and corrections performed.

You may wish to keep your own insurer apprised of the activities in the event you need their involvement at some point should the other parties deny repair of what you believe to be loss related damages.

If we can assist further, please call or e-mail us at Support@AutoDamageExperts.com or me personally @ Barrett@AutoDamageExperts.com

Hope this helps!

Auto Insurance Claims

Barrett Smith