Auto Insurance Claims/airbag deployment w/o accident

Question
2011 Vehicle, side air bags on both sides deployed as vehicle was leaving personal 300ft driveway. First start in the morning, moving 3-5mph. Disabled vehicle for a few minutes. Vehicle was towed, manufacture refuses to pay because third party (Raytheon??) found that vehicle shows it lost stability and caused airbags to deploy. Insurance states the comprehensive coverage doesn't cover mechanical breakdowns. Vehicle is currently at dealership for the past 43 days.Insurance company has decided to take another look at Raytheon findings. Can the insurance company deny all this?  There is full coverage on this vehicle and we are the original only owners of this vehicle.

Answer
I'm sorry you are caught in the midde here.  The issue is whether this was a mechanical breakdown or a loss as defined in the insurance policy.  On the surface, this sounds like a mechanical breakdown to me.  And insurance policies are not intended to cover mechanical breakdowns.  Airbags are not supposed to go off unless there is a collision.  Your description of what happened is pretty vague, but it does not sound like there was any collision.  If this is the case, in my opinion, this is a mechanical breakdown that the manufacturer should cover under warranty.  If it were me, I would be complaining non-stop to the vehicle manufacturer.  If this did not work, I would sue them in small claims court.

If there is more to the story than you shared, please let me know.

Auto Insurance Claims

Claims Guy