Auto Insurance Claims/fire damage claim

Question
My  car caught fire, was something to do with brakes, its in the garage being repaired.  I phoned my insurance, i have fully comp, they bluntly said no i can't claim as is not a result of an accident.  Is this correct?  I feel this is not explained in insurance document. Insurance is for fire and theft as it says. Has this been mis sold?

Answer
Absolutely, it should be covered. While I am in the US and my experience is with the stateside insurance contracts, if you have collision coverage you also have comprehensive. Any damage to your car other than that caused by collision in which you were at the wheel, would be covered here. Ask your agent or the person in claims if you have comprehensive coverage in addition to your collision coverage. Here, one always follows the other.

Charlie

Auto Insurance Claims

Charlie Barone