Auto Insurance Claims/Drivers with junior license

Hi--I have told my children that violating the terms of their junior license ( driving after 9 pm in ny state, or driving with more than one passenger ) could be cause for an insurer to deny coverage in case of an accident, but have never been sure this is true.  Hoping you can back this parent up with some facts about consequenc es of disregarding rules of a minors license.

Hello Rebecca,

As to the insurance issue, ultimately it depends on the language of your policy.  Having said that, there are several issues here.

First - and I assume you have done this - as soon as your youngsters become old enough to drive, your insurance company must be notified.  Rates are based on risk, and certainly risk increases when inexperienced drivers are added to the policy. Now ordinarily the carrier will renew that policy with the addition of these drivers, however you will no doubt experience an immediate rate increase.

Again, depending on the language of the policy, people who fail to notify their insurance company regarding the addition of new drivers can have their policy cancelled as a result.  And, any subsequent claims would be denied.

It appears that you have added the kids to the policy.  Based on experience, I will assume that their addition comes with conditions or exclusions.  Meaning, of course, that they must drive in accordance with state law.  If they do not, it would be fairly certain that claims would be denied.  Again, check your policy documents for specifics.

But there is an even greater consequence in my opinion.  Aside from the obvious financial repercussions of having insurance claims denied, the far more serious issues rest with the potential for serious accidents and serious bodily harm.  And I say this as a former police officer and as an insurance professional.

By nature, young people never believe that this will happen to them.  More so even than older people!  They dismiss that they could be seriously injured.  But what about the ramifications of killing or maiming someone else?

Junior licenses are issued for a reason.  Not only are these kids inexperienced as drivers, they are also inexperienced in life. Coupled together, this can form a potentially deadly situation.  

Certainly it is a major setback to achieve a bad driving record as a junior driver.  Insurance consequences and financial consequences can stay with one for years.  But to have to bear the cost of maiming or killing someone else ... it lasts a lifetime.  Are your children prepared to suffer those potential consequences just because they might want to break the rules?

The importance of relying on the knowledge of experienced authorities and experienced parents cannot be overemphasized.  Certainly bad things can happen when one does play by the rules.  But the chances of very bad things happening when one is not playing by established rules - rules that were written for very specific reasons - are far far greater.  The consequences can have deadly, permanent consequences.

I wish you well.

Jane Pytel  

Auto Insurance Claims

Jane Pytel

I can answer questions related to auto accidents, auto damage, auto theft claims, or personal injury claims. I am specifically suited to answer questions concerning insurance investigations and the effects of those investigations such as claim delays, claim denials, examinations under oath, or the special investigations unit. I can answer most any question that relates to proper claims investigations, or claims handling procedures and processes. I have authored several ebooks which provide claim guidance for consumers. Those books are available on Amazon Kindle: Power To Profit - will provide you with the knowledge you need to overcome the patterned obstacles that insurance companies will use to delay, devalue, or deny your valid insurance claim. The No Nonsense Guide to Accident Settlement - Teaches you how to manage your claim, how to identify the precise tactics likely to be used against you, and how you must respond.

12 years of experience with 3 major insurance companies. I hold an all lines adjusters license in Florida. I am well versed in claims handling, claims investigations, and industry standards related to both. The bulk of my experience stems from my 10 years as a police officer / detective. Building on that investigative experience, I became an SIU (Special Investigations Unit) Investigator. Accordingly, my unique expertise lies in the investigation of claims. What is necessary and related, what is not necessary and related? What constitutes a fair claims investigation? What recourse is available for consumers who suspect they are experiencing unfair claims delays? During the course of my experience, I became a certified trainer, instructing adjusters and investigators proper techniques for claims investigation and claims handling.

B.A., Communications, University of Miami 350 credit hours of intense investigative training, Miami Dade Police 80 hours of investigative training, various Federal Agencies, Miami, Fl Intensive Accident Reconstruction and Pedestrian Injury Analysis, NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Agency, Oklahoma City, OK 2 weeks Auto Damage Appraisal, Winston Salem, NC Legal Principles Claim Specialist, AEI