Auto Insurance Claims/Subrogation

Question
Last December, my car was hit by the other car in highway. After fixing my car and paying deductible in January, my claim was closed. However, subrogation process is on-going for 2 months. According to my adjuster, my file is still open. In this situation, can I change car insurance company? (It is time to renew my contract and I want to change auto insurance company.)

Answer
 Hello Hellene,

Of course you can change your insurance company.  While you have not provided specific details, it appears that while the accident in question was not your fault, you chose to file a Collision claim with your own company.  This would have necessitated your paying the deductible.  Since your insurance company apparently does not believe that this accident was your fault, they have subrogated the other carrier for repayment of the damages.  The amount due would also include your deductible.  If the other company agrees to this, they will comply and you will receive a refund of your deductible.

None of this has anything to do with your subsequent decision to change companies.  If the subrogation process results in a refund of your deductible, you will receive your money regardless of where you are currently insured.  Everything reverts back to the situation on the date of loss.

Hope this clear up your confusion.

Jane Pytel

http://InsuranceExpertAdvice.com
http://SolutionsForYourInsuranceClaim.com
http://FloridaAutoInsuranceCentral.com

Auto Insurance Claims

Jane Pytel