You are here:

Auto Insurance Claims/Car Insurance question


I got an insurance question. I let my fiance, who is not insured by my insurance company drive my car. I was in the car with him. He was intoxicated and hit 9 parked cars causing minor damage to all of them. Will I have to personally pay for the cars to get fixed?

Hi Nick,

As long as he does not live in your household and you did not know at the time that he was intoxicated, then you should be covered.

If he lives in your household then in most cases he is required to be listed on your policy or there is no coverage. In some cases the insurance company may pay for the damage to the other cars that were damaged but will not pay for any repairs to your vehicle. Also If you knew that he was intoxicated and allowed him to drive the insurance company may deny coverage altogether. It will all depend on the state in which you live and which insurance company you have.

The only way to find out for sure is to file the claim and see what happens.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh

Auto Insurance Claims

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard Hixenbaugh


Auto insurance claims procedure, auto coverage, liability issues, auto damage questions, how to deal with the insurance company, loss of use and diminished value.


I have been involved in the insurance industry for over 25 years. I have experience in underwriting, sales, claims adjusting, auto damage estimating, auto value appraising and diminished value appraising. I have testified as an expert witness over 35 times.

Society of Certified Auto Appraisers

Completed all required courses for the Florida Property-Casualty agents license and the Florida claims adjusters license. I have attended various courses on auto damage estmating, vehicle appraising and am ASE certified in collision damage analysis.

Past/Present Clients
My company has done work for consumers nationwide.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]