Auto Insurance Claims/Claims/Adjustor Question

Hi Barrett,
I am taking the exam soon and would like to know the following:

On most vehicles, an adjuster is required to restore corrosion on the roof panel only? Yes or NO and what about the hood and deck lid?
Hope I worded it correctly.

A claims person is responsible and has a professional and moral duty to provide sufficient consideration ($) for the full and proper restoration of the damaged vehicle to a condition of "Pre-Loss" to the best of human ability. Only through a proper and thorough repair can the vehicle owner be properly indemnified (made whole) for their loss. In some instances, to restore the consumer properly may call for additional consideration for diminution in value to properly and thoroughly indemnify them.

As to your specific question, corrosion protection should be added to any metal panel which, through invasive activity (repair or the replacement of adjacent panels) the original corrosion protection has been interrupted, replacement of the corrosion protection should be replaced/restored.

So the answer is "No" corrosion protection is NOT LIMITED to any specific panels. All metal panels which have been damaged, repaired etc. to where the original protection has been interrupted, it will require replacement of the corrosion protection materials.

Where plastic, carbon fiber and fiber glass and other composite materials and plastics are involved, corrosion protection would not be necessary.

Hope this answers your question.

Thank you!

Auto Insurance Claims

Barrett Smith

Auto Claim and Collision Repair issues including quality and thoroughness of repair, Diminished Value, Total Loss settlement valuation, Appraisal Clause matters, Expert Testimony, pre-purchase inspections and others. While having been a Senior Claims Adjuster, I am not licensed to practice law and cannot provide legal counsel. I will provide replies as friendly and informal advice based upon my experiences and those of our clients as possible. For more information on our offerings please visit For more informatin on our offerings please visit

I grew up working in a family owned auto body repair business my father owned and operated in Alaska and after leaving the US Air Force I started my own repair facility in Florida. I later became a senior claims adjuster for a national auto insurer and later managed two GM dealership collision centers. I started another shop which was recognized as a "Top Shop" in central Florida for over 15 years winning numerous local accolades and awards such as Business of the Year. In 2001 I developed Auto Damage Experts to provide its services nation wide and to all segments illustrating balance and equity for all ADE clients. For more information please visit

ASA (Automotive Service Association), SCRS, CCRE and others... For more information please request CV or visit

Local and national publications including but not limited to Auto Body Repair News (ABRN), Body Shop Business (BSB) and others. For more information please request CV or visit

ASE Master Certified in collision repair/refinishing including damage diagnosis and estimating. Please request CV or visit

As a quality Collision Repair facility owner, we received Top shop, Small Business of the year and other awards and accolades. Please request CV for additional information in this regard.

ADE provides services to all segments including Legal professionals, Consumers, Auto Dealers, Insurers, Governmental and judicial entities. For more information please request CV or visit