You are here:

Auto Insurance Claims/Total loss - Upside down in payments


Can I get the at-fault party's insurance to give me the full amount I owe on my car when it has been totaled and I owe more than they are offering?

Hi Dan,

No, sorry. They owe you for ACV (Actual Cash Value), another word for market value. Now if they underpaid for the market value of the vehicle, that is another story. If you think you were lowballed, get the eBook on Total Loss Auto Claim Advice Deluxe from

Ron Cercone

Auto Insurance Claims

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ron Cercone


How to handle automobile total loss claims. I am the president of, which sells 29 different eBooks I have written on how to maximize various types of auto, home and business claims and how to get coverage on denied claims. You may view their tables of contents online. Also available are very specialized eBooks such as on EUO (Examination Under Oath) for example. Also available is an assortment of policy forms used by the most popular insurers. The eBooks have a money back guarantee and currently include personal consultation with Ron Cercone.


I have been adjusting insurance claims since 1980. 1980 to 1995 adjusting for many insurers (6 years as an independent adjuster with my own company). Currently working as a public adjuster in California, since 1995. I'm one of the few public adjusters who has handled automobile damage and total loss claims.

CAPIA (California Association of Public Adjusters).

BA 1975 in History and Industrial Arts. Full CV at .

©2017 All rights reserved.