Auto Insurance Claims/Finding work

I have been in the auto appraisal field for 28 years now. Most of that time has been with a large insurance co. I have worked as an independent for the last three years. While I do have work, and my business has grown, I am at a dead end as far as finding new clients. I don't know where to advertise anymore and have contacted nearly all of the larger independent companies I can find that handle claims in my area. I have had nothing but great feedback from the clients that I do have. Where can I go from here? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

This is exactly the issue I had when I had my own damage estimating company several years ago. It can be very difficult to get business when you are a 1 man show. Insurance companies would rather deal with a bigger company that they can use in several areas. Even though the ones that do use you like your work it is just not enough.

You can try doing some sub-contract work for the larger IA's such as PDA or others that operate in your area. You may also find out if there is a local insurance claims association in your area and go to their meetings. There you could network with many claims adjusters & claims supervisors at once. Offer to bring lunch in to their office for an opportinity to speak to their adjusters.

Even though you are in the business of writing estimates, your number one job is always selling your services. In any business the primary motto has to be "Nothing happens until sombody sells something". Even if you land a company that provides you 10 assignments a day, you should never give up looking for more. Because one day a new manager will come in and turn you off so they can start giving work to a friend.

If all else fails, you can always try to get a job as an estimator in a body shop.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh  

Auto Insurance Claims

Richard Hixenbaugh

Auto insurance claims procedure, auto coverage, liability issues, auto damage questions, how to deal with the insurance company, loss of use and diminished value.

I have been involved in the insurance industry for over 25 years. I have experience in underwriting, sales, claims adjusting, auto damage estimating, auto value appraising and diminished value appraising. I have testified as an expert witness over 35 times.

Society of Certified Auto Appraisers

Completed all required courses for the Florida Property-Casualty agents license and the Florida claims adjusters license. I have attended various courses on auto damage estmating, vehicle appraising and am ASE certified in collision damage analysis.

My company has done work for consumers nationwide.