Auto Insurance Claims/Car Accident with Expired Drivers License

Question
I was involved in a car accident today.  I was sideswiped.  His version is different than mine, but mine is true.  The only witnesses were coworkers of the man.  I was alone.  He has minimal damage and I have more damage than him. When  the police came and I gave them my info, it turned out I had an expired license.  I had some personal issues, was away for a bit and recently came home.  Most of my personal affects are missing and honestly, my license didn't even cross my mind.  I know that is irresponsible.  I am going to DMV tomorrow to renew it.   I have GEICO insurance.  It is up to date and valid.  My question is will GEICO cover the damages to my car and his if he sues?  Or even just his?  I am not sure if they will cover it because my license was expired.  Any info you can give me is appreciated.  Thanks

Answer
Gina,

To be 100% positive, we would need to look at your policy and see if there are any endorsements regarding licensed drivers.  With that being said . . . RELAX.  Whether you have a driver license or not is irrelevant to whether or not you negligently operated your motor vehicle.  GEICO normally has a pretty standard policy that does not exclude coverage based on whether you are licensed or not, but whether you have permissive use of the vehicle.  

So. . . to answer. . . YES, GEICO will probably pay with no problem.  I'm sorry I can't say for 100%, but it's close.  If you want to be sure, get a copy of the policy and look us up, we'll point you to the right place to read and you can interpret it yourself.  

I hope this helps!  Information is always free at Petty Details, LLC!

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty