Auto Insurance Claims/Items stolen from truck not covered

Hello, My truck was stolen 4/5/2013 and recovered 4/9/2013 the body was slightly damaged all around the vehicle (scrapes and dents) but the meat of the question is 2 headrest video monitors 2 ps3 with receipts a navigation system with receipt a tool box in the bed area was stolen that had tools in it for home improvement. no receipt for video monitors or tool box. the tourneau cover was cracked (which was locked before being stolen) the bull bar was damaged at the front of th truck. the company says they will not pay for after market items. so i guess i am at a loss? the company sent their adjuster out and sent out a 2800.oo check for damages. after taking the truck to the dealer found out there is approx 6600.00 worth in damages. i own my truck out right and have title in hand. i deposited the check what should i do? the truck is currently at a shop.

Your homeowners policy or renters, if you have either, should cover the items that are not covered by your auto policy.  

Since the estimate and dealer repair figure are different, you need to get the insurance company adjuster and the repair facility together and the insurance company will write a supplement if they missed damages or didn't estimate it correctly, so that part should be simple enough.  

In order to know exactly what is covered I would need to see the policy.  Most auto policies do cover aftermarket items so long as they are permanently installed in the vehicle, but some policies may specifically exclude certain items (like video monitors).  

So. . . homeowners or renters is the second line of defense, and as for the damage amount, simply advise the insurance company there is a supplement and that you need them to get with the shop and approve it.  If you have further questions, feel free to look us up.  Information is always free at Petty Details, LLC!

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty

Challenge me! I promise that I will provide you with the most honest answer I can muster, and I will base it on nearly 20 years of complex claims experience. My strength is shooting it straight and seeing through BS. I do not bluff and I can tell when somebody is. I've handled claims in almost every State in the U.S. and adjusted claims and consulted attorneys and CEO's on recovery and special claims tactics for over a decade. I am the founder and President of Petty Details, LLC. We provide the highest quality claim services to insurance companies, attorneys and individuals all exactly in the same way, by paying attention to the details and doing the right thing.

Nearly 20 years of combined claim company management, litigation, all lines adjusting, claim auditing, damage assessment, subrogation, small claims, tort recovery, collection, skip-tracing, tactical investigations, and contribution claim recovery experience across the United States of America.

NASP (National Association of Subrogation Professionals) (Auto Insurance Expert) Diminished Value Appraisers Group (LinkedIn)

10 years experience in writing and developing technical claims correspondence for litigation and unique scenarios at insurance companies and as a consultant to attorneys assisting with legal briefs and research. 42 published articles relating to auto insurance and claims. Self Published e-books entitled "How Much is My Injury Worth" and "Diminished Value - How Do I Get Paid?".

School of hard knocks, 3 years college, NO DEGREE, years of real world experience running a claims service company and adjusting claims for carriers. Speaks English and Spanish, Limited Portuguese & Italian.

Platinum Author ( All Lines Adjuster (TX, 1998 - 2008) TX Public Adjuster (2009 - 2011)

State Farm Insurance, Endeavor GA, MileMeter Ins., American Recreational Markets, Gainsco Ins. Co., Safeway Ins., Home State County Mutual Insurance, Old American County Mutual Insurance, FCCI, Farm Bureau, Liberty Mutual, and Pronto General Agency, LTD just to name a few! On top of insurance companies and attorneys, I have personally helped thousands of accident victims with the difficult and stressful process of navigating their claim to a successful resolution.