Auto Insurance Claims/obscuring the lack of rental car reimbursement

I was insured buy Geico and many other company's over the last 45 years. I have always had rental car coverage. Upon my return to CA, I attempted to do some buisness with my long time friend a Farmers agent. My wife had had a total loss in December of 11. Copies of my Geico policy were requested, to show proof of insurance existing. I complied, but blacked out the cost portion so as to get an apple for apple quote. Farmers sent me 6 different memorandums / quotes and though I had no way of knowing it they had absolutely no provision for rental car coverage. I had a claim in March of 13, and am stuck with the $800.00 rental car charge. I have contacted the DOI whom are indigent. It seems to me to  make no sense that they not be required to disclose what coverages are not included, as there could be many, with absolutely no transparency, when every other company I have talked to states it is on their dec. sheet. Is it supposed to be my responsibility to know what I do not have if it simply does not iexist? I have looked up the CIC 11580.1 but there are too many places to go. I maintain that if something is not covered it should be excluded not camouflaged in non existence. The DOI will not identify what the rules are regarding just what has to be on a Memorandum, Declaration, Quote, policy or anything regarding a solution for the business of obtaining a new policy. This opens the door for Farmers to abuse the Reg T 10s 2695.8, defamate the value of the car and take all the time they want to facilitate a well organized / orchestrated manipulation of bad faith. Most people have a car payment to make, a job to get to and are now paying the rental charge out of pocket. How do I find the requirement for this total lack of disclosure, when all other honest companies use it on their forms.

Hello Joe,

With regards to any insurance policy, at the inception of the policy - and at each renewal - you receive a Declarations Page. This document specifies your exact coverages including the cost for each.  

It is my standard practice to advise people to carefully review this important policy document each and every time it is issued.  If the coverages are not what you think you purchased, it is vital that you contact either the company or the agent to correct those coverages.  Coverages that you do NOT purchase would not be listed as Exclusions.  The point is, you did not purchase Rental coverage, did not pay for Rental coverage, so therefore it is not excluded.  It is just not a part of your policy.  Hence, the importance of your reviewing the Dec Page.

Your previous coverage really has no bearing on this.  To the contrary, proof of prior coverage, in my experience, is used solely to calculate your rates.  That would be why Farmers requested it.

You have quoted references to Ca Law or Regulations.  I'm afraid I cannot comment on that as I am neither an attorney nor an expert on Ca Law.  However, speaking strictly as an insurance expert, I can not envision how you could demand Rental coverage after the fact.

Sorry for the bad news.

Auto Insurance Claims

Jane Pytel

I can answer questions related to auto accidents, auto damage, auto theft claims, or personal injury claims. I am specifically suited to answer questions concerning insurance investigations and the effects of those investigations such as claim delays, claim denials, examinations under oath, or the special investigations unit. I can answer most any question that relates to proper claims investigations, or claims handling procedures and processes. I have authored several ebooks which provide claim guidance for consumers. Those books are available on Amazon Kindle: Power To Profit - will provide you with the knowledge you need to overcome the patterned obstacles that insurance companies will use to delay, devalue, or deny your valid insurance claim. The No Nonsense Guide to Accident Settlement - Teaches you how to manage your claim, how to identify the precise tactics likely to be used against you, and how you must respond.

12 years of experience with 3 major insurance companies. I hold an all lines adjusters license in Florida. I am well versed in claims handling, claims investigations, and industry standards related to both. The bulk of my experience stems from my 10 years as a police officer / detective. Building on that investigative experience, I became an SIU (Special Investigations Unit) Investigator. Accordingly, my unique expertise lies in the investigation of claims. What is necessary and related, what is not necessary and related? What constitutes a fair claims investigation? What recourse is available for consumers who suspect they are experiencing unfair claims delays? During the course of my experience, I became a certified trainer, instructing adjusters and investigators proper techniques for claims investigation and claims handling.

B.A., Communications, University of Miami 350 credit hours of intense investigative training, Miami Dade Police 80 hours of investigative training, various Federal Agencies, Miami, Fl Intensive Accident Reconstruction and Pedestrian Injury Analysis, NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Agency, Oklahoma City, OK 2 weeks Auto Damage Appraisal, Winston Salem, NC Legal Principles Claim Specialist, AEI