Auto Insurance Claims/total loss of car

Question
I live in Houston. Tx. I had a 2002 Avalon that my wife had an accident with and was declared total loss.
Geico only offered me $4000 minus deductible for the car and I didn't accept. My agent says they will not pay me more.
I feel I am being cheated by about $1000 to $ 1500 . They sent me a CCC car evaluation and comparison report. They have a baseline adjustment of - $1358 on all the cars that were compared to my car. According to KBB my car value with the mileage adjustment is about $5600 if I wanted to buy retail value

Answer
Ammar,

CCC has already settled out of court for problems with they way they evaluate vehicles for insurance companies; I won't go into that.  But, a Google search for CCC class action settlement would yield interesting results.  You are right that the baseline adjustment CCC uses is not explained anywhere.  Unfortunately, my opinion is that your options are limited.  You can fight on principle or give up due to economics. . .  

Here is the problem . . .

You have to be a credible threat to GEICO.  Right now, you have no better evidence than GEICO has as far as the value of your vehicle.  You need an expert appraiser to give an opinion contrary to CCC's.  CCC is also not an appraiser (it is a company that uses a computer system to give values).    

I will point out that your vehicle is a privately owned vehicle, and not a retail vehicle.  The value of your vehicle would be based on the private market, and not the retail market.  Even so, if the value of your vehicle is $5000.00, then if GEICO offers $4000.00, the only way you can argue successfully is to hire an independent appraiser and file suit.  Most people give up, and GEICO knows that.  

If you don't give up, you'll spend appraisal fees, court costs, and witness / travel costs, which could cost you nearly $1000, and at least $600.00 in a best case scenario.  I consult with insurance companies, individuals and attorneys about this very thing for a living.  Trust me, if you want to fight, you can win more money, but it might cost you your winnings just to fight!  We fight for principle all the time, but that's a personal choice you have to make.  Information is always free at Petty Details, LLC.  I hope this helps you to decide what you need to do.  

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty