Auto Insurance Claims/auto theft by son

my teenage son took my vehicle at the eary hours of the morning and while my husband and i were asleep he took the keys from somewhere in the house wherever he found them and said he took them because he wanted to go to the store and get something to drink atleast this is what he told the police officer well needless to say he rear ended another pick-up well the insurance first denied my claim because they said i signed a form that excluded my minor son and i told them i understood that but in this case he took it without my permission and i filed it as stole should this not be looked into as theft and not me letting him borrow it? i live in texas what can i do

Hello Carmen,

Sorry to say, but if your son is excluded from your policy, he cannot drive the car any under conditions.  In insurance terms, you have no coverage for this particular loss.
It is doubtful that the insurance company will regard this as a theft.  From their perspective, you have a responsibility to secure the vehicle in such a manner that your son does not have access to it.  In return, your premiums are reduced because the company is not assuming a risk for your teenage son.

Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways.

Sorry for the bad news.

Auto Insurance Claims

Jane Pytel

I can answer questions related to auto accidents, auto damage, auto theft claims, or personal injury claims. I am specifically suited to answer questions concerning insurance investigations and the effects of those investigations such as claim delays, claim denials, examinations under oath, or the special investigations unit. I can answer most any question that relates to proper claims investigations, or claims handling procedures and processes. I have authored several ebooks which provide claim guidance for consumers. Those books are available on Amazon Kindle: Power To Profit - will provide you with the knowledge you need to overcome the patterned obstacles that insurance companies will use to delay, devalue, or deny your valid insurance claim. The No Nonsense Guide to Accident Settlement - Teaches you how to manage your claim, how to identify the precise tactics likely to be used against you, and how you must respond.

12 years of experience with 3 major insurance companies. I hold an all lines adjusters license in Florida. I am well versed in claims handling, claims investigations, and industry standards related to both. The bulk of my experience stems from my 10 years as a police officer / detective. Building on that investigative experience, I became an SIU (Special Investigations Unit) Investigator. Accordingly, my unique expertise lies in the investigation of claims. What is necessary and related, what is not necessary and related? What constitutes a fair claims investigation? What recourse is available for consumers who suspect they are experiencing unfair claims delays? During the course of my experience, I became a certified trainer, instructing adjusters and investigators proper techniques for claims investigation and claims handling.

B.A., Communications, University of Miami 350 credit hours of intense investigative training, Miami Dade Police 80 hours of investigative training, various Federal Agencies, Miami, Fl Intensive Accident Reconstruction and Pedestrian Injury Analysis, NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Agency, Oklahoma City, OK 2 weeks Auto Damage Appraisal, Winston Salem, NC Legal Principles Claim Specialist, AEI