Auto Insurance Claims/liability

Someone accidentally lets their shopping cart hit
your vehicle.  The innocent driver of the vehicle,
that is hit, is not in the area at the time.
The person leaves no note about insurance.
They just leave the area.  If the owner
of the vehicle has the license number or the name
of the person that did this person liable
to contact their insurance to pay for this? this
considered a hit and run? this collision or
comprehensive coverage to the innocent driver who
wasn't there and has to have it paid by their own
Thank you for your time.

It would be considered a hit and run, and the victim would generally use comprehensive coverage.  Technically, this type of claim could be considered collision or comprehensive.  There is no law that forces a person to give up insurance information after an accident on private property where no law enforcement officer is present.

The problem with pursuing the hit and run individual is that you need to be able to identify the party driving to get any criminal charges to stick.  Otherwise, the best you can do with plates is possibly sue in small claims court for damages, then hope the other party finds the judgment compelling enough to pay you.

I hope this helps!

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty

Challenge me! I promise that I will provide you with the most honest answer I can muster, and I will base it on nearly 20 years of complex claims experience. My strength is shooting it straight and seeing through BS. I do not bluff and I can tell when somebody is. I've handled claims in almost every State in the U.S. and adjusted claims and consulted attorneys and CEO's on recovery and special claims tactics for over a decade. I am the founder and President of Petty Details, LLC. We provide the highest quality claim services to insurance companies, attorneys and individuals all exactly in the same way, by paying attention to the details and doing the right thing.

Nearly 20 years of combined claim company management, litigation, all lines adjusting, claim auditing, damage assessment, subrogation, small claims, tort recovery, collection, skip-tracing, tactical investigations, and contribution claim recovery experience across the United States of America.

NASP (National Association of Subrogation Professionals) (Auto Insurance Expert) Diminished Value Appraisers Group (LinkedIn)

10 years experience in writing and developing technical claims correspondence for litigation and unique scenarios at insurance companies and as a consultant to attorneys assisting with legal briefs and research. 42 published articles relating to auto insurance and claims. Self Published e-books entitled "How Much is My Injury Worth" and "Diminished Value - How Do I Get Paid?".

School of hard knocks, 3 years college, NO DEGREE, years of real world experience running a claims service company and adjusting claims for carriers. Speaks English and Spanish, Limited Portuguese & Italian.

Platinum Author ( All Lines Adjuster (TX, 1998 - 2008) TX Public Adjuster (2009 - 2011)

State Farm Insurance, Endeavor GA, MileMeter Ins., American Recreational Markets, Gainsco Ins. Co., Safeway Ins., Home State County Mutual Insurance, Old American County Mutual Insurance, FCCI, Farm Bureau, Liberty Mutual, and Pronto General Agency, LTD just to name a few! On top of insurance companies and attorneys, I have personally helped thousands of accident victims with the difficult and stressful process of navigating their claim to a successful resolution.