Auto Insurance Claims/Bike Rack

Question
The rear door (hatch) of my SUV was damaged by bike rack and bikes.  
1. The panel dented
2. The dent allowed the rack to contact the paint, rubbing thru over an 8 hour trip.
3. The bikes shifted allowing a handle bar to contact, wearing the handle grip to bare metal and gouging the paint.

There was no accident, no other vehicles involved.
1.  Will it be covered by car insurance?
2.  Would it be collision or comprehensive?

Answer
This will depend on the exact wording of your policy, and the way your company interprets that wording if it is unclear.  My company would cover this under Comprehensive.  I think most insurers would as well.  But it is possible they could try to deny the claim under the mechanical breakdown or wear and tear exclusion.  If they do, i would fight it.

Auto Insurance Claims

Claims Guy