Auto Insurance Claims/What coverage will pay unknown vehicle body damages after shopping from the store?

Question
I went to the Wal-Mart. After I went to home I found a scratch on my vehicle. I do not know how and when it happened. What coverage will pay for such unknown damages, comprehensive or collision?

Answer
Hi Ray,

Ray, you don't describe the scratch.  If the damage was caused by the hit and run driver, that would be a Collision claim.  If it appears to be "keying", that is intentional vandalism, the coverage would be Comprehensive.

Either way, you would be responsible for your deductible.  Good idea to get an appraisal at a responsible body shop.  If the damage is less than your deductible, you do not have a claim.

If the damage is equal to or only slightly higher than your deductible, you might want to avoid a claim.  Depending, of course, on the amount of your deductible and your claims history.

Good luck.

Auto Insurance Claims

Jane Pytel