Auto Insurance Claims/who is liable

Question
I was in a 3 car accident. Car 1 was in the right lane I was in the left lane. The right lane ends in a turning lane, and there is another turn lane after the first. Car 1 went through both turn lanes and a bike lane to merge 5-10 feet in front of my car. I honked at him, he slammed on his brakes and came to a complete stop. I barely stopped and was struck from behind, that impact pushed me into car 1. The driver of car 1 was charged with neg driving in the 2nd degree. The driver of car 3 was not charged nor was I. Is the driver of car 1 at fault for this accident?

Answer
This is a trick question.  The only way liability can be determined is by a jury.  I could argue that all parties share in the fault.  I could also argue that only car 3 is at fault.  

Unfortunately, there is really no way to tell you who is at fault without a super thorough hearing of how the accident occurred, like would happen in a court.  The proximate cause does seem to be the guy changing lanes unsafely, but the guy behind you was following you too closely or not paying attention if he could not stop.   

Negligence can be based in failure to keep a proper lookout, failure to hit your brakes in a timely manner, failure to keep a safe distance, etc.  I can see where the argument could be made for various negligence theories.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of better assistance.

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty