Auto Insurance Claims/Total Loss Auto Claim Issues

Question
Hi...My car was declared a total loss, insurance determined value they would pay of apprx $5500. I am trying to find a comperable replacement car within that price range, but am  unable to as all I find are selling for twice as much or have almost double the mileage on my car (2003 Hyundai Santa Fe), and many are both. Insurance (located in another time zone) has been leaving me many messages to "follow up" over last week and now is saying they are closing my claim within 7 days. They are not at all cooperative with me and I don't know what to do. I can only "shop" for a replacement car on weekends.
Can they put a time limit on my signing off on the payment and close my claim and just pay whatever they want?? Is there anything I can do?

Answer
You are in charge of when the claim is settled.  Nobody except you can close it down.  You do not have to accept what they offer, but if you don't want to accept it, you have to prove the amount that is due to you.  Most of the time the insurance carrier will just bully you because it is very hard to prove a value.  

Your question requires so much info that it is difficult to answer over a forum like this.  I consult with victims, attorneys, and insurance comapanies about this exact thing all day every day.  I urge you to call my office and I can give you a lot more information and actually give you information that might actually assist you, all for free, because that is just how I roll.  If you need a formal appraisal or something like that, you will know it before you have to spend any money and that alone is sometimes worth the time in making a call.  Information is always free at Petty Details, LLC.  214-227-2154

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty