Auto Insurance Claims/How to work as an auto appraiser

Question
I was not able to find much information online, and my search returns results for auto adjusters instead.  I wanted to ask what would be the process for someone wanting to enter the industry and work as an auto appraiser? What is the ideal way to go about becoming certified and is there a general background/experience that is required or preferred in order to be hired?  Also, how does the future look for an auto appraiser, is this occupation in demand?

Answer
Insurers often hire body shop employees for these jobs because they have the experience to do the job right away.  However, some insurers will hire trainees.  Skills required usually include good communicatyion skills, customer service skills, intelligence, and attention to detail.  I would suggest going on the career sites of several major insurers to do more research.

Most major insurers have in recent years developed body shop programs where they trust body shops to write their own bills and submit for payment without an insurance appraiser inspecting the vehicle.  So there are less of these jobs than in the past.  But there is a need for appraisers to inspect vehicles that are not repaired at a program shop, and to audit the priogram shops.

Auto Insurance Claims

Claims Guy