You are here:

Auto Insurance Claims/automobile damage


I bought a 2015 toyota venza at 5:00 on a Friday on saturday  with 100 miles on it I was rear ended and pushed into the car in front of me. The estimate is approximately $4000.00. My vehicle also needs a rear panel cut off because rear floor is damaged. Is this considered structural damage.

Hi John,

I'm sorry this has happened to you.

Yes. The rear body panel and the rear floor pan are both structural components. The first priority is the get your vehicle properly and completely repaired. You should select your body shop carefully. Do not go to a body shop recommended by the insurance company. Ask your dealer for a referral if they do not have a body shop themselves.

After the repairs are completed, you will be entitled to be paid for the loss of value of your car. It's called diminished value. When you get to that point, visit for assistance with a diminished value appraisal and the claim process.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh  

Auto Insurance Claims

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard Hixenbaugh


Auto insurance claims procedure, auto coverage, liability issues, auto damage questions, how to deal with the insurance company, loss of use and diminished value.


I have been involved in the insurance industry for over 25 years. I have experience in underwriting, sales, claims adjusting, auto damage estimating, auto value appraising and diminished value appraising. I have testified as an expert witness over 35 times.

Society of Certified Auto Appraisers

Completed all required courses for the Florida Property-Casualty agents license and the Florida claims adjusters license. I have attended various courses on auto damage estmating, vehicle appraising and am ASE certified in collision damage analysis.

Past/Present Clients
My company has done work for consumers nationwide.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]