Auto Insurance Claims/Auto Insurance mis quote

Hi Richard:

Yesterday I moved auto insurance policy from one vehicle (liability only) to a new leased one (full coverage). Initially when I asked for the quote, I was given a figure that to me seemed rather high for the coverage I was requesting so I asked for them to run the quote again. When they did, it it was uncovered that the reason for the high quote was that the insurance company had my wife coded as being married and me as being single. Once this was corrected, my quote dropped $600 for the year, which of course I was happy about and accepted. After I hung up I thought about it and wondered: if they were about to over charge me for the new policy, how long have they been over charging me for the old policy? Should I pursue this and if so, would there still be a record of the wrong coding now that they have corrected it? Thanks in advance.

Hi Kevin,

You should absolutely pursue this. If they have been overcharging you, you should be entitled to a refund of the difference. If they give you a hard time or say there is no way to check, you can file a complaint with your state department of insurance. They will investigat and get you an answer.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh

Auto Insurance Claims

Richard Hixenbaugh

Auto insurance claims procedure, auto coverage, liability issues, auto damage questions, how to deal with the insurance company, loss of use and diminished value.

I have been involved in the insurance industry for over 25 years. I have experience in underwriting, sales, claims adjusting, auto damage estimating, auto value appraising and diminished value appraising. I have testified as an expert witness over 35 times.

Society of Certified Auto Appraisers

Completed all required courses for the Florida Property-Casualty agents license and the Florida claims adjusters license. I have attended various courses on auto damage estmating, vehicle appraising and am ASE certified in collision damage analysis.

My company has done work for consumers nationwide.