Auto Insurance Claims/claims

Question
I have Erie insurance.  A few weeks ago I was backing out of my garage and hit my son's car.  It was only a little bump but the adjuster said it will cost about $3000 to fix his car and $1500 to fix my car.  He is getting his car fixed.

But I checked and I can buy a taillight and bumper cover myself and fix my car for @$200 which is less than my $500 deductible.  I called my agent about this and she said it wouldn't change anything as far as penalties and adjustments to my policy if I did it myself so have it fixed for whole price.

This doesn't sound right.  What do you think?

Answer
Hi Don,

It is correct. Once you report an accident to your insurance company it will count against you. Even if you withdraw the claim and receive no payment, they still have the incident on record and will increase your premium because this was considered to be an at-fault event.

So you are better to have them issue you the check and then have the repairs done at the shop of your choice.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh

Auto Insurance Claims

Richard Hixenbaugh