Auto Insurance Claims/How best to dispute an offer from insurance

Question
My friend's 2000 F450 Ford truck was heavily damaged by hail recently.  This being a large truck, the flatbed will need to be removed for optimal repairs.  His insurance company has offered about $6200 for the repairs, but the truck and body place he took the truck to gave him an estimate that was almost double at $12,200 which includes removing the flatbed, storing it and replacement.  Anyway, he's asked me what to do so I'm passing on his question which is: what is the best way to dispute the insurance company offer?  Would it be prudent to get some other estimates recognizing that most body shops won't handle this large a truck?  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Answer
I'm going on the assumption he has not yet raised this issue to the insurer.  If he had, they probably would have explained the "supplement" process.  

When an insurer writes an initial estimate, it is just that, an estimate.  It is not a final offer.  The appraisers are generally told to only write for damage they can see and confirm.  It is understood there may be more damage and/or repairs necessary.  The repair shop is expected to work off the estimate but if they find additional work is necessary, they are to call the insurance claim rep and and ask for a supplement.  This happens every day.

Sometimes the repair shop will ask for a supplement that the insurer does not approve because they disagree about the best way to repair the vehicle.  If this happens, you have a few options:

1. take the vehicle to a shop the insurer recommends who will follow their estimate
2. complain to the claim supervisor
3. complete the repairs the way you prefer at your preferred shop, pay the difference, and then try to get your money back by either filing a complaint with the state insurance department, or by suing the insurer in small claims court.  

Good luck!

Auto Insurance Claims

Claims Guy