Auto Insurance Claims/Car Rental Accident

Question
Hello,

I was involved in a car accident in which a rental car hit me on my rear bumper, it was his fault for trying to speed on the yellow light (I took photos after the accident). I police did not write a report and just told us to exchange insurance and driver license, I took photos (no one was injured). The driver keep telling me to take the car to his friends shop and not deal with insurance, I didn't do that. When I return home, I notice that his insurance was one day expired.

I called the insurance company to filled a claim, gave them the VIN, license, and plate number and told them It was a rental car. They gave me a confirmation number. It has been like a month now and I have not seen any updates on the claim, i am starting to think that i have to fixed my own car. I totally forgot to get his insurance from the rental car. now I don't know what to do since his main insurance was 1 day expired. what should I do now?

Answer
If the other party didn't have insurance, then it is possible that the rental car company would have a secondary policy that will pay, but you would have to have all that information already in order to file a claim.  If you don't have any of the information required to get a claim filed, it's gonna be hard to get it now.  

Your situation is frustrating, and dealing with insurance and rental car companies is a pain.  I wish I had better news or some magic advice that would help you get the case resolved without any expense to you, but I don't.  If you have your own collision insurance or uninsured motorist coverage, use your insurance and let them try to recover the money.  Even if you are able to find insurance information on the rental car, they will likely argue it was not his fault.  It is not illegal to go through a yellow light.  If the insurance is not responding to you, you need to research / call and get an address or fax number and send a written request for status to them, if they still don't respond, then you need to contact the driver that was at fault and pursue recovery directly from him.  

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty