Auto Insurance Claims/Diminished Value Claim

Hi, I was recently in a rear end collision and only had my new car for 1 week before the person hit me. I live in the state of California which does recognize diminished value 3rd party claims. The damage to my vehicle was minor, a cursory estimate says only about $700 worth of damage. However, since the car is brand new I feel that the diminished value of the car is higher. I was wondering if this is worth pursuing a diminished value claim, and if you have any advice on how I go about that. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!!

Thank you for the question.

You are indeed correct in your belief that because the vehicle is new, the diminution in value  would be greater than if the vehicle were older.

I would suggest you contact Auto Damage Experts in Oregon as they handle California. You can reach them through ADE's websites at and/or They should be able to assist you in determining if it would be in your best interest to pursue.

Best wishes!

Auto Insurance Claims

Barrett Smith

Auto Claim and Collision Repair issues including quality and thoroughness of repair, Diminished Value, Total Loss settlement valuation, Appraisal Clause matters, Expert Testimony, pre-purchase inspections and others. While having been a Senior Claims Adjuster, I am not licensed to practice law and cannot provide legal counsel. I will provide replies as friendly and informal advice based upon my experiences and those of our clients as possible. For more information on our offerings please visit For more informatin on our offerings please visit

I grew up working in a family owned auto body repair business my father owned and operated in Alaska and after leaving the US Air Force I started my own repair facility in Florida. I later became a senior claims adjuster for a national auto insurer and later managed two GM dealership collision centers. I started another shop which was recognized as a "Top Shop" in central Florida for over 15 years winning numerous local accolades and awards such as Business of the Year. In 2001 I developed Auto Damage Experts to provide its services nation wide and to all segments illustrating balance and equity for all ADE clients. For more information please visit

ASA (Automotive Service Association), SCRS, CCRE and others... For more information please request CV or visit

Local and national publications including but not limited to Auto Body Repair News (ABRN), Body Shop Business (BSB) and others. For more information please request CV or visit

ASE Master Certified in collision repair/refinishing including damage diagnosis and estimating. Please request CV or visit

As a quality Collision Repair facility owner, we received Top shop, Small Business of the year and other awards and accolades. Please request CV for additional information in this regard.

ADE provides services to all segments including Legal professionals, Consumers, Auto Dealers, Insurers, Governmental and judicial entities. For more information please request CV or visit