Auto Insurance Claims/Insurance Claim Difficulty

My family and I were involved in a car accident.  The other driver was driving drunk, crossed 2 lanes and hit us.  She was arrested and found at fault.  My insurance is through State Farm and so is hers.  During the accident my cellphone(Galaxy S2), my Ipad(3rd generation 16 gb) was damaged and also 2 car kids and I had picked up my husband from the airport.  I called State Farm about these claims, State Farm  they would pay for them but the items have to be the same or else State Farm will pay the depreciation value of the items.  Samsung doesn't make the Galaxy S 2 anymore...Tmobile tells me the next best thing is the Galaxy s3  while Apple stopped making Ipad 3s...the replacement was Ipad with retina display.  Everything worked great until this car accident and now State Farm is telling me they won't replace them but will pay the depreciation value only. How can I fight them? Also I can't buy the exact same car seats bc every year new car seats come out, how do they expect me to find the exact same one?  Please help!

Hi KC,

This is typical of insurance companies. What they owe you is the value of the items you had at the time they were damaged. So it is correct that they will only pay the depreciated value of the items. Insurance is supposed to make you whole which means to put you back in exactly the same position you were in just before the damage. If they bought you new updated items, they would be putting you in a better position than you were in prior to the damage. It is unfortunate but, that is the way it works. You will be paid for the depreciated value of the items. Then it will be your responsibility to purchase replacements.

Of course you should seek information on the useful life of the items to be replaced. Ask the insurance company to provide a printed depreciation schedule or you can research that on the internet.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh  

Auto Insurance Claims

Richard Hixenbaugh

Auto insurance claims procedure, auto coverage, liability issues, auto damage questions, how to deal with the insurance company, loss of use and diminished value.

I have been involved in the insurance industry for over 25 years. I have experience in underwriting, sales, claims adjusting, auto damage estimating, auto value appraising and diminished value appraising. I have testified as an expert witness over 35 times.

Society of Certified Auto Appraisers

Completed all required courses for the Florida Property-Casualty agents license and the Florida claims adjusters license. I have attended various courses on auto damage estmating, vehicle appraising and am ASE certified in collision damage analysis.

My company has done work for consumers nationwide.