Auto Insurance Claims/Side swiped my neighbors car

I live in Illinois and I'm not sure what to do. I side swiped my neighbors parked car trying to pass another car that was waiting on someone to come out of their house. I left a note on the windshield telling her where I lived and my name because I didn't know whose car it was. I went to work and she came later in the day and my dad spoke to her. She told my dad that she was thankful that I had left the note because she would not have known who had done it. She doesn't have insurance but I have full coverage and liability coverage on my vehicle. I did more damage to my car than I did to her car. On the drivers side door of her car there is a scratch of about 10-15 inches long with a dent, and small scratches on the bumper. My car has scratches all over the passengers door from front to back. We did not file a police report. What should I do? Will she need insurance to call and file a claim with my insurance? If we do contact the police will she get a ticket for not having insurance? Will I get charged for leaving the scene?

Relax.  You have done the right thing.  This is exactly the kind of thing that liability insurance is for.  Indeed simply give your neighbor your insurance information and let her file a claim.  You should also call your insurance company and explain what happened.  You did not do anything illegal by leaving since the vehicle you hit was parked and unattended AND because you left a note.  Good job!

There aren't many people left that have the sense of responsibility you're exhibiting.  Take a deep breath, and use your insurance.

I hope this helps.  

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty

Challenge me! I promise that I will provide you with the most honest answer I can muster, and I will base it on nearly 20 years of complex claims experience. My strength is shooting it straight and seeing through BS. I do not bluff and I can tell when somebody is. I've handled claims in almost every State in the U.S. and adjusted claims and consulted attorneys and CEO's on recovery and special claims tactics for over a decade. I am the founder and President of Petty Details, LLC. We provide the highest quality claim services to insurance companies, attorneys and individuals all exactly in the same way, by paying attention to the details and doing the right thing.

Nearly 20 years of combined claim company management, litigation, all lines adjusting, claim auditing, damage assessment, subrogation, small claims, tort recovery, collection, skip-tracing, tactical investigations, and contribution claim recovery experience across the United States of America.

NASP (National Association of Subrogation Professionals) (Auto Insurance Expert) Diminished Value Appraisers Group (LinkedIn)

10 years experience in writing and developing technical claims correspondence for litigation and unique scenarios at insurance companies and as a consultant to attorneys assisting with legal briefs and research. 42 published articles relating to auto insurance and claims. Self Published e-books entitled "How Much is My Injury Worth" and "Diminished Value - How Do I Get Paid?".

School of hard knocks, 3 years college, NO DEGREE, years of real world experience running a claims service company and adjusting claims for carriers. Speaks English and Spanish, Limited Portuguese & Italian.

Platinum Author ( All Lines Adjuster (TX, 1998 - 2008) TX Public Adjuster (2009 - 2011)

State Farm Insurance, Endeavor GA, MileMeter Ins., American Recreational Markets, Gainsco Ins. Co., Safeway Ins., Home State County Mutual Insurance, Old American County Mutual Insurance, FCCI, Farm Bureau, Liberty Mutual, and Pronto General Agency, LTD just to name a few! On top of insurance companies and attorneys, I have personally helped thousands of accident victims with the difficult and stressful process of navigating their claim to a successful resolution.