Auto Insurance Claims/Auto in flood

Question
Am in TN. My car was parked in the lot at my apartment when a major rain occurred and waters rose. @4 inches of water was in my car. My insurance company referred me to a detail shop for drying out.
I have a friend who works in the emergency services industry dealing with fire, flood and other issues. He says the water is contaminated with at least tar, oil from the roadways, biologicals from the parking lot as well as the wooded areas around the complex- and who knows if the sewers were backing up.
His recommendation is that the carpets be replaced as there is no way to sanitize them to a clean condition. Possibly the seats need to go also if they were in contact with the category 3 water and definitely the steel floorpans of the car need to be dried and treated for contaminates.
tell me how I can address this with the Insurance company since they don't seem to feel anything more than fans and vaccuming is needed- they only want to dry it out.

thanks
Mary

Answer
Your friend that is arguing about the quality of the water needs to provide you proof of his claims, and if your policy says that the insurance company will pay to repair the vehicle, then they need to do that.  

Ask them to sign a form that says they are repairing the vehicle, and then let them try to repair it (LET THEM, don't agree to take it and sign for the repair yourself).  Once they advise you that the repair is done, have your friend test the repair and see if it is proper, if it is not, do not accept the vehicle back and advise the insurance company to remedy whatever issues still remain.

That is the only way to handle it without invoking the appraisal clause and/or suing.  You must let them attempt to repair and prove to them it is not repaired if that is your argument.  It is a tough situation to have to argue with a bullheaded and ignorant adjuster about value, and I do it daily.  If your carrier and you cannot agree on the amount of loss, then your policy almost certainly contains an appraisal clause.  As a last resort, invoke the appraisal clause and hire an independent appraiser to determine the value of the loss, and the appraisal clause says the insurance company should do the same (hire an independent).  Normally two independent appraisers can settle the matter, but if not, they will name an umpire who will address the differences.

I hope this helps.  

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty