Auto Insurance Claims/car insurance

I live in CT.  My question is.....if my friend buys a car but is unable to get insurance because of his driving record and I get the policy in my name and list him as a driver and then he gets into an accident which is his fault, would I be held financially responsible or would he as the driver of the car?

Hi Paul,

Assuming you have a good driving record, this situation is a bad deal for you.

Insurance companies rate on risk.  If you can find a carrier that will insure him, it will impact you negatively both in terms of risk factors and in expense.  The premiums will be much higher, obviously.  You'd better make certain your friend is good for the money, or you - as the primary named insured will end up holding the bag so to speak.  This arrangement could also damage your personal risk rating.

And to answer your initial question.  You would be the policy holder. Of course liability would transfer to your policy if your friend, now a listed driver gets into an at fault accident.  Personal financial responsibility would kick in only if the damages caused by your friend exceeded your coverage.  Your insurance company would be required to cover you up to your limits. Sounds like you'd need high ones.  At the very least, you need to speak to a qualified insurance agent that you can trust.  I suspect they will tell you to steer clear of this mess.

My advice.  Stay away from this potentially very damaging situation.  Your friend got himself into this.  He needs to work independently to get out of it.

Auto Insurance Claims

Jane Pytel

I can answer questions related to auto accidents, auto damage, auto theft claims, or personal injury claims. I am specifically suited to answer questions concerning insurance investigations and the effects of those investigations such as claim delays, claim denials, examinations under oath, or the special investigations unit. I can answer most any question that relates to proper claims investigations, or claims handling procedures and processes. I have authored several ebooks which provide claim guidance for consumers. Those books are available on Amazon Kindle: Power To Profit - will provide you with the knowledge you need to overcome the patterned obstacles that insurance companies will use to delay, devalue, or deny your valid insurance claim. The No Nonsense Guide to Accident Settlement - Teaches you how to manage your claim, how to identify the precise tactics likely to be used against you, and how you must respond.

12 years of experience with 3 major insurance companies. I hold an all lines adjusters license in Florida. I am well versed in claims handling, claims investigations, and industry standards related to both. The bulk of my experience stems from my 10 years as a police officer / detective. Building on that investigative experience, I became an SIU (Special Investigations Unit) Investigator. Accordingly, my unique expertise lies in the investigation of claims. What is necessary and related, what is not necessary and related? What constitutes a fair claims investigation? What recourse is available for consumers who suspect they are experiencing unfair claims delays? During the course of my experience, I became a certified trainer, instructing adjusters and investigators proper techniques for claims investigation and claims handling.

B.A., Communications, University of Miami 350 credit hours of intense investigative training, Miami Dade Police 80 hours of investigative training, various Federal Agencies, Miami, Fl Intensive Accident Reconstruction and Pedestrian Injury Analysis, NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Agency, Oklahoma City, OK 2 weeks Auto Damage Appraisal, Winston Salem, NC Legal Principles Claim Specialist, AEI