Auto Insurance Claims/EUO / geico

Question
Hi Richard

I filed a stolen car claim.  car was found and totaled, 2002
sebring $2500 value. Geico sent me a EUO letter and suspects my claim is false, if I drop the claim what are the consequences from geico.  

will they try to legally prosecute me?  will they drop me or
raise my rates?

if i drop the claim does that cancel the EUO meeting?

1.  what are these Geico euo examinations like?

2.   should i hire an attorney, i'm not that good at being
   questioned by people.  i think its an anxious setting.

whats your experience?  Im 69, disabled veteran and i
   dont need the stress.  im in florida and the eou meeting
   is Jan 14, 2016.

thanks for your time and advice.  Merry Christmas !  joe

Answer
Hi Joe,

An EUO is an Examination Under Oath. This is often requested by an insurance company when they suspect that you may have had something to do with the damage to your property. Most insurance companies employ people that work in what are called Special Investigation Units. These unite are mostly staffed by ex- police detectives who's job it is to investigate potential insurance fraud. The EUO will be done with a court reporter in the room who will first swear you in so you will be testifying under oath. If you lie under oath and are caught you can be prosecuted. The objective of the EUO is to determine if there is evidence that you were involved in damaging your property and if so they will refer the case to the prosecutor to bring charges.

If you withdraw the claim, you will not be paid by your insurance company. They may still refer the case to the prosecutor if there is any evidence against you. If you did not have anything to do with the theft or damage to your car then you should have nothing to fear.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh  

Auto Insurance Claims

Richard Hixenbaugh