Auto Insurance Claims/Who pays

Question
My husband and I went to Florida. A friend came to Florida who had a rental SUV. We rode in his SUV, hit a bear, no one was hurt. I went to the medical center two days after for a mild concussion  and had a cat scan etc. I am receiving bills from the medical center (over $10,000) and no one wants to pay. Not his insurance company nor mine and I can't sue the bear. We live in Illinois along with our friend. Love to hear what I should do.

Thanks,
Deb

Answer
First, I am not an attorney.  So, in an attempt to assist, I will only be able to give my opinion as an experienced claims professional.

Since the accident occurred in Florida, Florida Financial Responsibility Laws Govern the use of motor vehicles as it relates to accidents.  It would be the rental car company's insurance you need to get.  I would suggest getting proper contact information for the rental place and seeking the insurance info.  If there was a police report, that would be helpful, if not, it just means you'll have to provide the accident details to the carrier for the rental.  Make sense?  If they refuse to make payment, request a written denial, and if they refuse a written denial, make a written followup yourself that details what was said, so you have the record anyway.

Does that help?  

Auto Insurance Claims

Justin Petty