Auto Insurance Claims/How bad of a decision was this?

A short time ago, my wife backed into a family friend's new car in a driveway.  The damage to our (also new) car looked bad (large indent in hollow area of bumper) and there was potentially scratches to the other car, so she panicked and filed a claim on the spot.   I was not there..

Later on... I was able to pull the dent out, no issue.  They are claiming no damage as well.. so no pay outs on either side.

With all the vague terms on my policy... accident forgiveness, good driver discount... yada yada, how much "damage" is this going to do to me going forward?

Hi Manny,

The only way to get an answer to that question is to call your insurance company to ask. Each insurance company has their own underwriting guidelines. So only they would be able to answer the question. If they indicate that they are now showing an at-fault accident on your record, you should explain the situation and the fact that there was no damage and no pay-out. This may help get them to remove the entry but they are not required to do so.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh

Auto Insurance Claims

Richard Hixenbaugh

Auto insurance claims procedure, auto coverage, liability issues, auto damage questions, how to deal with the insurance company, loss of use and diminished value.

I have been involved in the insurance industry for over 25 years. I have experience in underwriting, sales, claims adjusting, auto damage estimating, auto value appraising and diminished value appraising. I have testified as an expert witness over 35 times.

Society of Certified Auto Appraisers

Completed all required courses for the Florida Property-Casualty agents license and the Florida claims adjusters license. I have attended various courses on auto damage estmating, vehicle appraising and am ASE certified in collision damage analysis.

My company has done work for consumers nationwide.