Auto Insurance Claims/DV

The insurance company has a DV report of $179 which is undervalued. I sent in a report with much more value $2000. Insurance company said we need to hire an umpire and split the cost. I don't know if it worths or how to pick an umpire and how it works.

You can select anyone mutually agreeable to both sides. There is no criteria that must be met for the individual serving as umpire. Car dealers, body shop owners or collectors of cars typically serve as umpires. And the umpire does not have to see the car.

Hope this helps

Auto Insurance Claims

Charlie Barone

For questions involving auto damage claims, collision repair, forensics, industry practices, we can help. We specialize in claims for loss of resale value (Diminished Value).

I have 30 years experience in the collision repair and body reconstruction field, both hands-on and from behind the desk. I hold a Master Certification from ASE in the Body and Paint category, as well as their certification in Estimating. I have authored over 120 feature and training articles for the largest trade journal devoted to the collision repair industry, and have given expert testimony in court dozens of times. Licensed physical damage appraiser in Pennsylvania and reciprocal states.