Auto Insurance Claims/vehicle insurance

My husband is 68 and recently had his first accident. It was completely his fault and told the insurance company so. Anyway he took an online driver safety course so no points are added to his license. Since there are no points, does that mean we can tell another insurance company that there are NO accidents? Just for the sake of lower rates? Can they still find out?

Hi Joyce,

NO!  You must NEVER make false or misleading statements on an application for insurance.  First of all, insurance companies will check your driving record and claim history when you apply.  So the chances of them not catching a prior accident is highly unlikely if not impossible.

Setting that aside, if you misrepresent anything on an application for insurance you are setting yourself up for a claim denial and a cancellation.  Insurance companies do not take kindly to misrepresentations.  In fact, if you check your policy you will see that there is a special section dedicated to misrepresentation.  If you get caught, they will deny the claim and cancel the insurance.  And in worst case scenarios they could also report you to law enforcement for fraud.

One accident in all this time is really no big deal.  Some companies will not even penalize an insured for one accident.  Generally that would be the case if you've been with your carrier for a long time with no prior claims.

If you're satisfied with your carrier, you're better off staying than attempting to get new coverage.  A new company is not likely to give you a break on rates, especially with a prior accident.

Hope this straightens things out.

Auto Insurance Claims

Jane Pytel

I can answer questions related to auto accidents, auto damage, auto theft claims, or personal injury claims. I am specifically suited to answer questions concerning insurance investigations and the effects of those investigations such as claim delays, claim denials, examinations under oath, or the special investigations unit. I can answer most any question that relates to proper claims investigations, or claims handling procedures and processes. I have authored several ebooks which provide claim guidance for consumers. Those books are available on Amazon Kindle: Power To Profit - will provide you with the knowledge you need to overcome the patterned obstacles that insurance companies will use to delay, devalue, or deny your valid insurance claim. The No Nonsense Guide to Accident Settlement - Teaches you how to manage your claim, how to identify the precise tactics likely to be used against you, and how you must respond.

12 years of experience with 3 major insurance companies. I hold an all lines adjusters license in Florida. I am well versed in claims handling, claims investigations, and industry standards related to both. The bulk of my experience stems from my 10 years as a police officer / detective. Building on that investigative experience, I became an SIU (Special Investigations Unit) Investigator. Accordingly, my unique expertise lies in the investigation of claims. What is necessary and related, what is not necessary and related? What constitutes a fair claims investigation? What recourse is available for consumers who suspect they are experiencing unfair claims delays? During the course of my experience, I became a certified trainer, instructing adjusters and investigators proper techniques for claims investigation and claims handling.

B.A., Communications, University of Miami 350 credit hours of intense investigative training, Miami Dade Police 80 hours of investigative training, various Federal Agencies, Miami, Fl Intensive Accident Reconstruction and Pedestrian Injury Analysis, NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Agency, Oklahoma City, OK 2 weeks Auto Damage Appraisal, Winston Salem, NC Legal Principles Claim Specialist, AEI