You are here:

Auto Insurance Claims/Will these Accidents go towards me?



I put my girlfriend on my car insurance and added her to my car, so that she can drive it if needed. She has gotten into 2 accidents. One of these were when she was driving her fathers truck, which she struck a rental car which damaged the bumper, and the other time she backed up into a car and did s number on the front end of a car. I have a clean driving record with no at fault accidents, or speeding tickets. My question is will this always be on my record on me? If her and I don't work out would this stay with me or would this stay with her? I have been driving for 5 years now and I'm currently paying $180 a month at geico, which is the cheaper than what I was paying at Liberty mutual. She is now scared to drive because of these accidents and frankly I don't want her driving my new car! If I was to remove her from my insurance would this effect my insurance payments dramatically or is this going against me like it's my fault, and if so what can I do to dispute this because each time I was not present of these accidents and had no part in it. Thank you for your advice and taking time to read this!

ANSWER: Hi Zachary,

If your gilr friend lives with you then in most cases she must be listed on your policy as a driver or be specifically excluded from coverage. If you have a company that will allow her to be excluded, then you can never let her driver your car or there will be no insurance coverage. If she does drive your car after she is excluded and an accident occurs, you and she would be personally responsible for paying any and all damages and injuries that may occur.

If you guys break up and she no longer lives with you then you will not be paying for her driving record.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you for your response, she does not live with me I just added her so she can drive my car, especially while I'm at work or for whatever reason.

Hi Zachary,

If she does not live with you then you did not need to put her on your policy to begin with. You can loan your car to anyone that does not live with you and they are covered as long as the car is not made available for their regular use.

Now in order to take her off your policy you will have to prove she does not live with you by providing a utility bill or something at another address of if she has a car, her own insurance policy at another address. Or you may have to specifically exclude her from coverage.

The best thing to do is talk to your agent to see what options they may come up with.

I Hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh  

Auto Insurance Claims

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard Hixenbaugh


Auto insurance claims procedure, auto coverage, liability issues, auto damage questions, how to deal with the insurance company, loss of use and diminished value.


I have been involved in the insurance industry for over 25 years. I have experience in underwriting, sales, claims adjusting, auto damage estimating, auto value appraising and diminished value appraising. I have testified as an expert witness over 35 times.

Society of Certified Auto Appraisers

Completed all required courses for the Florida Property-Casualty agents license and the Florida claims adjusters license. I have attended various courses on auto damage estmating, vehicle appraising and am ASE certified in collision damage analysis.

Past/Present Clients
My company has done work for consumers nationwide.

©2017 All rights reserved.