Auto Insurance Claims/Claim closure

Question
Once all medical care is completed after a motor vehicle crash,how is a claim actually closed?  We have signed the medical release of information forms allowing the at fault driver's auto insurance to obtain records so bills can be paid. We do plan to ask for compensation for pain and suffering since this crash has been so unbelievably disruptive to our lives.1) So, will the at fault driver's insurance offer us a settlement that includes pain and suffering or do we need to specifically ask for the compensation? 2) And when do we do this? We do not have a lawyer and really do not want one at this point.3) Is there a special form they send us that officially closes the claim?
Thank you for all your help, it is very much appreciated.

Answer
You should call your claim representative and ask him/her to explain the process.  Generally they collect your medical bills and reports, then evaluate your claim, and make you an offer.  They will evaluate it in a range and the first offer will be at the bottom of the range, so don't take the first offer.  Negotiate back and forth until you agree on a fair amount.  When you come to an agreement, they will ask you to sign a release.  One you sign the release, you are giving up the right to make any future claims in exchange for the money.

Auto Insurance Claims

Claims Guy