Auto Insurance Claims/insurance coverage for pedestrian fatality

Question
Good Afternoon,
My children's father was hit by a car on Christmas eve. He was then run over by a second vehicle. I waited 2 months for the police report, which is terrible. No charges were filed against the drivers and both parties did remain on the scene. Do insurance companies typically pay for funeral costs of the deceased? How does one make a claim for this sort of thing or is this unrealistic?

Answer
Hi Katherine,

First, let me say that I am sorry for your and your children's loss. That is a terrible thing to have to deal with.

As for your question, if you are speaking of the insurance company for the drivers of the 2 vehicles, it would depend on if either of those drivers is found to be at fault or negligent in the collision. If they are not found to be at fault then they will not pay anything. If they are at fault then you and your children may be entitled to much more than the funeral expenses.

I would highly recommend that you seek the advice of a good personal injury attorney. Most will provide an initial consultation for free. They will look into the facts of the case and determine if there is anything to pursue. It may be nothing if the deceased person was responsible but if either or both of the drivers of the cars that hit him can be found at fault or in some cases even a percentage at fault, you and your children may be entitled to a settlement.

Again I am sorry for your loss.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh  

Auto Insurance Claims

Richard Hixenbaugh